Let’s get these recipes up during September. I’m not at 50 yet, but I’m closing in. Let me know if you attempt it and if anything is wrong or confusing. These aren’t the final recipes… I don’t think…
Applesauce Cake (Aka Oatmeal Crisp)
- 1 c “butter”
- 3 c oatmeal
- 4/3 c sugar
- 2/3 c oat flour
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 T pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch salt
- 4 c applesauce
- 9×11 sheet pan
- Large spoon
- Large sauce pan
- Preheat oven at 400.
- Melt butter in the large sauce pan. The pan needs to be able to fit everything besides the applesauce.
- Add oatmeal and sauté for three minutes on medium heat.
- Turn off burner and let cool for two minutes.
- Add flour, sugar, spices, and salt. Combine. Be careful it should still be hot.
- Separate the oatmeal mixture into two parts of about equal amounts.
- Whatever is slightly larger of the two parts place in bottom of sheet pan. Spread evenly.
- Add applesauce. Spread evenly over oats.
- Cover with remaining oatmeal mixture, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
- Remove and let cool in pan. Cut up and eat.
- In my family this dessert has been cheap, easy, delicious, and good for you. Which somewhat makes it the perfect dessert.
- The amount of applesauce depends on the group. I use one entire container of unsweetened applesauce. Any applesauce can be used and the amount only has to cover the oats on the bottom. If you don’t have quite four cups, you can still make do.
- The butter I use is Earth Balance’s soy free dairy free buttery sticks. It works fine. Any form of butter works. Palm shortening, margarine, butter, lard. It’s an easy switch out.
- The flour can be switched out easily. I have used oat flour without any issues.
- When it comes to spices think apple pie. That’s going to be what you aim for. Cinnamon has always been our go to spice in this dish. I normally toss in a lot of pumpkin pie spice. I like the spices. You can reduce it to little or none if you wish to.
© Hartliebe 2016
Cyro was able to make this recipe without my help. If a ten year old can follow it and get the right result, it should be called complete. Some of my other recipes… I’m working on it.