Let’s get this recipes up during September. I’m not at 50 yet, but I’m closing in. Let me know if you attempt it and if anything is wrong or confusing. These aren’t the final recipes… I don’t think…
Blueberry Upside-Down Cake
- 1 T ground flaxseed
- 3 T warm water
- ¼ c “melted butter”
- ½ c brown sugar
- 2 c frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 T lemon juice
- ½ c “butter”
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 1/3 c oat flour
- 2 t baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ¾ c almond milk
- 1 t cinnamon or other spices, if desired
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 mixer
- 1 large spoon
- 1 8 or 9 inch round pan
- In the small mixing bowl, mix the ground flaxseed and warm water. (I use the hot side of the tap.) Let rest.
- In medium mixing bowl, mix the melted butter and ½ cup of brown sugar. Spread on bottom of round pan.
- Spread the blueberries on the butter-sugar mixture. Splash with lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, beat the butter. Add sugar and continue.
- Beat in flaxseed slurry.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and milk.
- Once smooth, pour the batter onto the blueberries in the pan. Spread evenly. Let rest for a few minutes. (Gravity is your friend.)
- Bake on the center rack in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Check if done by the toothpick trick. If a toothpick comes out clean (not gooey) the cake is done.
- Remove from oven. (Turn off oven.)
- Serve immediately if you wish for a more pudding like cake. If left to cool, it will be more cake like.
- Any berry can be used instead of blueberry. With something large like a strawberry cut up into smaller pieces. Be wary of berries with seeds.
- For those who cannot have dairy, there are several options for butter replacement. Earth Balance has a no soy no dairy “butter”; some margarines taste the same as butter, but are all soy. Other replacements are shortenings such as palm or soy. For the melted butter, you can use a liquid fat, but realize you are losing the flavor found with butter. Do not use a liquid butter to replace the solid butter.
- Any milk can be used in this recipe.
- Flavoring and spices are used at discretion of baker. Cinnamon or even pumpkin pie spice can be used without any concern. Such flavorings such as lemon extract can be used as a ½ teaspoon addition.
© Hartliebe 2019