Let’s get this recipes up during September. I’m not at 50 yet, but I’m closing in. Let me know if you attempt it and if anything is wrong or confusing. These aren’t the final recipes… I don’t think…
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
- 1 mashed ripe med. banana
- 1 T canola oil
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (opt)
- Spray oil
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 mixer
- 1 large spoon
- 1 frying pan
- Heat source
- First in the mixing bowl mash the banana.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Put the frying pan on the stove top and set to med. Grease the pan well with the oil spray.
- Once a fleck of water sizzles upon hitting the pan, add by spoonfuls the batter. Three or four can fit in my average sized pan. These are silver dollars. One large pancake can fit in an average pan at a time.
- Wait for the bubbles in the center of the pancake to be almost disappear completely. This means it is heated through and cooked on the bottom. Check for a light brown color. If good, flip carefully.
- The second time takes half as long to cook. Do not walk away unless you like it burnt. Pancakes cook fast.
- When this group is done, spoon more pancake batter onto the frying pan and repeat.
- Spray the pan between the third and fourth or fourth and fifth groups. By now the pan will need an oiling. Do so between batches, not during. And let the pan heat back up if you add a bit. (The oil drops the temperature of the pan.)
- Repeat the previous steps until all the batter is done.
- Turn off heat source and enjoy.
- If you do not wish to use a mixer, mash the banana with your hands while it stays in a closed plastic bag, then use the large spoon or a whisk.
- Any liquid oil works. Be wary of soy if someone is allergic. I use canola. (Vegetable oil is normally all soy.)
- Any milk can be used. I use almond milk as my normal replacements. Some can add flavor to the mix, but chocolate is a strong taste and will normally overwhelm other lesser flavors.
- Look at the ingredients of the chocolate chip bag. Enjoy Life creates a safe option for allergen sufferers.
- You can use any other additives you desire: nuts, dried berries, morsels besides chocolate. This can be instead of or in addition to.
- Flavorings are not listed and generally are not needed. If you want to you can add pinch to a ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon vanilla, or any other flavors you desire. This includes extracts or spices. What suits you best.
- If you wish for sweeter pancakes (I eat it straight and my child doses it with syrup) you can add 1 tablespoon of sugar. A well ripen banana has a lot of sugar anyway, so I remove the sugar in the basic recipe.
- If using a countertop grilling pan, you can forgo the pan. But only if the surface is smooth.
- If you do not have oil spray, just thoroughly grease the pan with oil using a small piece of parchment paper. This can be hot, so I suggest getting an oil spray. There are now ones on the market that are just olive oil. Olive oil burns at low temperatures, but should not cause a trouble at the small amounts being used. Lard, butter, and shortening are also substitutes for the grease, if oil is hard to come by.
- There is another option for oiling the pan: grease. If you cook say bacon before and between batches of pancakes, it’ll keep the pan slick. Be wary if you have bacon haters in the crowd. (Several meats will give off grease. Any would work.)
- Pancakes are open to a lot of topping options. Syrup, honey, powdered sugar, fruit preserves, even ice cream and ice cream toppings. The world is your oyster.
© Hartliebe 2019
This is Cat Hartliebe’s go to delicious breakfast.