Hey, you don’t know how to make meatloaves, right?
I mean safely for those of us who can eat meat but not say egg or wheat or milk. I’m not a vegan. I can’t be a vegetarian. Most recipes for meatloaves contain: ground beef, milk, bread crumbs/bread/croutons, and egg. I know. I’ve made meatloaf before. I always wondered by everything made me sick. It took a while, but I figured it out. I always refused meatloaf (like most things that contain my allergens), but this recipe gives me the chance to have some too. By making them minis, I get more caramelized ketchup per serving. And one serving is one meatloaf. That helps serving too. Not everything is perfect and really it’s flavor to taste.
12 miniloaves give or take
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/3 c diced onion
- 1/3 c diced celery
- 1/3 c diced carrots
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 2 T yellow mustard
- 1/2 c bread crumbs (gluten free ones use rice flour as a base; that worked)
- 1 T egg replacer
- 4 T warm water
- 1/3 c almond milk
- spices (1/4 t of salt; 1 t of garlic powder; etc. a lot or a little works)
- Ketchup to cover
- large bowl
- gloves (if desired)
- Al foil
- baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add all ingredients into large bowl and mix well.
- Take a handful out (5 oz give or take) and shape into ovals or a flatten egg longways.
- Place the mini loaves on the aluminum foil covered baking sheets.
- Cover each mini loaf with ketchup.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
- The mini meatloaves are meant to be individual servings. By doing it this way, you can get more caramelized ketchup on each serving.
- If you want one big meat loaf, shape into large loaf and cook for 60 to 90 minutes.
- To make it sweeter you can add in brown sugar up to 1/3 cup.
- The diced vegetables are not required. The onion flavor should be there, so if you do not add diced onion add it as a spice. Prefer different vegetables? Try it. Only go up to one cup of diced/minced vegetables.
- What spices? Italian style spices would work. Or pick certain spices you find in ketchup.
- What if I don’t have ground beef or pork? As long as it’s a similar meat, just make sure you are using 2 lb. If you have a leaner cut, you will need to add some fat.
© Hartliebe 2020